September 2010 - Present
Staff Software Engineer on the Tools Team
- Created Python development infrastructure & initial libraries.
Powerset, Inc. acquired by Microsoft, July 2008.
July 2007 - September 2010
Software Development Engineer II on the Section Scoring Team:
Software Development Engineer II on the Content Pipeline Team:
- Created tools to ingest HTML documents for machine learning feature generation.
- Implemented Rails application for contract annotators to evaluate & judge documents for model training.
Senior System Engineer on the Platform Team:
- Maintained Java codebase responsible for indexing Wikipedia content.
- Designed and built a flexible software stack in C with Ruby & Python bindings for efficiently handling large volumes of time-series data.
- Created a monitoring framework to handle both system & application level alerts using the Thrift RPC libraries.
- Built a dashboard for visualizing application level metrics & monitoring for critical production system data.
- Maintainer of a variety of infrastructure level packages, including Xen, and Thrift-RPC.
Senior Software Engineer, Slim Devices Inc. acquired by Logitech Inc. October 2006.
November 2004 - April 2007
- Led team of ~10 Open Source developers contributing to SlimServer.
- Responsible for 5 major releases of SlimServer, and many minor ones.
- Refactored server architecture from using in-memory hashes to a abstracted object-relational API.
- Cross platform support of a large (56k lines) codebase.
- Unicode Character Handling for metadata tags & filesystem access.
- Server optimizations & performance turning, including memory footprint reduction.
- Started inline documentation project for code & APIs.
- Created release & build tools.
- Initiated test framework & code coverage creation.
- SqueezeNetwork coding, infrastructure & deployment.
- MP3, Ogg, FLAC & WMA server side support.
- ReplayGain server side support & tag extraction.
- Deployment of infrastructure for all machines for SqueezeNetwork, Corporate website & Corporate internal.
- Automated Debian Linux controls using cfengine & FAI.
- Monitoring for the Squeezenetwork systems - service & website.
- Migrated legacy services to new controlled machines.
- Implemented a centralized OpenLDAP server which handles Postfix, VPN & internal authentication lookups.
- Deployed new corporate firewall, IPSec, DNS & DHCP services.
- Took ownership of Asterisk VoIP server.
Ariba Supplier Network Operations Engineer, Ariba Inc.
September 1999 - November 2004
- Built a fully redundant, 3-tier application architecture for handling large-dollar volume B2B transactions.
- Designed and implemented automated Unix server installation and maintenance infrastructure using CFEngine & Jumpstart.
- Monitoring infrastructure for product specific monitoring & metrics, in addition to standard system based monitoring.
Software Engineer, @Home Inc.
March 1999 - September 1999
- Expanded and enhanced WebSpace server monitors through a NetX API.
- Wrote automated testing for verification of FTP servers against RFC 959, security testing, and specific @Home user functionality.
- Evaluated and implemented a transition from wu-ftpd to the ProFTPd server.
- Patched ProFTPd to support @Home multi-level hashed user directories.
System Administrator/Developer, Sterling Software/Numerical Aerospace Simulation, NASA Ames Research Center
October 1997 - March 1999
- Maintained & enhanced the "webd" real-time file mirroring architecture.
- NASBot: Web Crawling Link Checker for internal content.
- Created Apache::AuthenRadius - a mod_perl authentication handler via RADIUS server.
- Responsible for the configuration & implementation of a RedHat Linux roll-out to user workstations.
System Administrator/Technical Support, CCO Inc. now Connect Corp Inc.
July 1995 - September 1997
- Setup and maintained Web, Mail, NNTP, Livingston Portmaster2 Terminal servers & modem pool.
- Developed static and dynamic web content for customers.
- Handled customer telephone support and network setup.